Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Queen Gone Missing and The Painful Lesson

On September 21st, I checked on my bees for the first time since the honey harvest. I had to reduce the boxes from three to two. Since I had left the honey super on with any frames of uncapped honey inside, I had to check the progress and remove any frames that were basically empty. The bees need to focus on food supplies for the winter, not building comb now. When I took the lid off, there were not too many bees in the honey super and only a few frames needing to be put in another box. I removed the extras and proceeded to examine the bottom boxes. There were a lot of bees, young ones, and not too many brood within the frames. I did not see the queen among the bee chaos but I also saw a few larvae, estimated to be about a week old. Then, I saw a queen cell. It was a supercedure cell, right in the middle of the frame, and it had hatched. Could my old queen be dead or dying? Is there a new virgin queen replacement somewhere in the hive? Is there even a queen at all? Oh geez, the worry as I begin to have all sorts of thoughts now as I check the boxes. I finish my box reduction duties, leave any frames for them to recycle out by the hive, and begin my google search for greater understanding of what may be going on inside the hive. I read all sorts of advice, anything from re-queening the hive, watching out for a laying worker (where one of the workers begins laying eggs but they will all turn into a male drone), the "roar" of bees and their increased aggitation and agressiveness for not having a queen, and a wait and see approach to verify if the new queen is there. In thinking back, it was hard to tell if I heard a roar, they sounded normal. They were especially buzzing while I was in the hive but I assume that was because a bee stung my glove and the scent of pheremones sent them into a tizzy. I saw a queen cell so they are handling their own business. I will take a wait and see approach and check in the two weeks most beekeepers recommended. If I did not see anymore eggs then I will get a new queen.

The next evening, I decided to get the frames away from the hive. They were done cleaning the extra wax and honey and I wanted to put them back into the shed for storage. I gently picked up each frame (there were four total) and brushed off any dead bees. Just when I was on my last one, I was just about to walk away until I looked down at my foot. There it was. Sitting on my toe. A young bee. I had open toe sandals. I froze then I panicked. I tried to kick it off but no luck. It stung my toe. I rushed to brush it off then I remembered to get the stinger out as soon as possible. I dropped my frames and ran inside the house (as I was near the hive and didn't need an attack). It hurt and it was all my fault. On one hand, wearing what I was wearing was a sign that I felt comfortable around my bees, on the other hand, I should've known better to wear at least closed toe shoes since I had essentially brushed that bee right off the frame and onto my toe. Ah the lessons of a new beekeeper. I have been stung by bumble bees, yellow jackets, and one other honeybee as a child. This experience was far different. My doctor said it will be easier in the future. My foot itched, swelled, turned red, then a bruise surrounded my toe. Even as I write this, four days later, the bruise remains. It's a reminder to watch where I walk, be conscious of my movements, and respect even the littlest of creatures. More importantly, having the appropriate clothing, just as having the right equipment, is imperative to getting a job done safely and soundly.

Will this make me not want to be a beekeeper anymore? Well, it made me have my doubts as my reactions to the sting hurt. The actual sting wasn't the bad part. I hated looking at my bruise and feeling the awkwardness of the swelling when I walked. They do more good than harm and in the five months that I have had them, they have not caused any harm. Granted one did get Stew by the nose before but his reaction was minimal. I am just a bit more aware now of what is buzzing by me when I am in the yard. Flies sound just the same at times and that gets me a little spooked. I will overcome. I will get back on that metaphorical horse.    

No comments:

Post a Comment