Friday, March 30, 2012

Lee's Bees

We will soon be adding a Carniolan beehive to Rlittlefarm. It's a bit scary and exciting to purposely bring a bunch of stinging insects to our property. It seems like a natural transition in the amount of plants I grow each season and it makes sense to have a little help in the pollination of all those flowers. I have been prepping the boys in the role honeybees play in the garden. 1 out of every 3 bites of food is created by honeybees pollinating a flower. I hope to have quite the lush garden once they arrive. Naturally I am afraid that they will swarm away or bother my neighbors and visitors, but I have been noticing so many bees lately anyway, without the boys being bothered, that I think they will be fine. Besides, when I really look around my neighborhood, no one is really outside besides us.

We have some piecemeal bee suits for the boys and ourselves - mostly from thrift store finds and items off Ebay. A few items were from China and the Ukraine. I was a bit skeptical that they would arrive but they turned out to be pretty good finds compared to beekeeping suppliers in the US. I hope they last and perform as they are supposed to.
Jason showing off some of the Ebay items

I found the veil and gloves off Ebay and the pants from a thrift store

No comments:

Post a Comment